Exploring Bottled in Bond Whiskey
Not that long ago I read Bernie Lubbers' book Bourbon Whiskey - Our Native Spirit. In the book he wrote fondly of bonded bourbon whiskey. For those unfamiliar with the term bonded whiskey, also labeled as bottled in bond, refers to whiskey that has been: aged for at least 4 years, bottled at exactly 100 proof (50% alcohol), the product of one single distillery, and the product of one distilling season. To be honest, before reading his book, I hadn't thought much of bonded whiskeys. Most of what I saw seemed to occupy the bottom shelf in the liquor store or back bar of my local watering holes so I assumed they weren't as good as the whiskeys higher up on the shelf. But, as I discovered in my blind tasting of inexpensive whiskies, price and enjoyment are not always correlated.
Inspired by Bernie's passion for bottled in bond whiskeys I've decided to search them out and allow myself to have an open mind. According to Bernie's website there are now 17 commercially available bonded whiskeys, up from 13 just three years ago, and two others only available at the Jim Beam Visitor Center and the Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center.
To the best of my knowledge all of these Bottled in Bond Whiskeys are available for retail purchase somewhere in the US. Updated: 7/3/16, 12/30/17
- Old Heaven Hill B.I.B.
- Heaven Hill 6 Year Old B.I.B.
- Evan Williams B.I.B
- Rittenhouse Rye B.I.B.
- Mellow Corn B.I.B.
- Old Fitzgerald B.I.B.
- J.W. Dant B.I.B.
- J.T.S. Brown B.I.B.
- T.W. Samuels B.I.B.
- Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel B.I.B.
- William Heavenhill B.I.B. (Bourbon Heritage Center Only)
- Jim Beam Bonded B.I.B.
- Old Grand Dad B.I.B.
- Old Tub B.I.B (only at Beam Visitor Center)
- A.D. Laws Four Grain Straight Bourbon B.I.B.
- A.D. Laws Secale Straight Rye B.I.B.
- Old Bardstown B.I.B.
- Old Forester 1897 B.I.B.
- Early Times B.I.B
- Very Old Barton 6 Year Old B.I.B.
- Colonel E. H. Taylor Small Batch B.I.B.
- Colonel E.H. Taylor Straight Rye B.I.B.
- Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel B.I.B.
- David Nicholson 1843 B.I.B.
- Ohio Straight Bourbon B.I.B.
- B.I.B Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- B.I.B. Bourbon Whiskey
- B.I.B. Wheat Whiskey
- J. Becher Straight American Rye Whiskey B.I.B.